Position is for a full-time Compliance Manager to work in the EAH Corporate Office in Honolulu, Hawaii. Qualified Candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education/training/experience. 5+ years as a Compliance Specialist preferred. Experience in reporting to and working with agencies such as HUD, TCAC, CalHFA, HOME, USDA, HCD and investors. 2+ years as a Resident Manager with either HUD or Tax Credit experience preferred. Salary commensurate to experience.
Established in 1968, EAH Housing is one of the largest and most respected nonprofit housing development and management organizations in the western United States. EAH develops low-income multifamily housing, manages more than 222 properties throughout in California and Hawai’i, and plays a leadership role in local, regional, and national housing advocacy efforts.
EAH Housing puts its core values into action every day as our staff of 700 people serves 25,000 residents in 87 municipalities. We offer competitive wages, comprehensive benefits, professional development, and invest in our employees through extensive training programs. Please visit our www.eahhousing.org to learn more about us, our culture, and how we strive to maintain excellence in everything we do.
For immediate consideration, please apply to requisition COMPL002745 on our website at www.eahhousing.org/careers
Responsible for ensuring EAH, Inc. is operating in compliance with all affordable housing program guidelines, regulatory agreements and company policies and procedures. The Compliance Manager performs a wide variety of tasks directly related to training, policy development and oversight of affordable housing communities from acquisition through occupancy. This position is characterized by a high degree of initiative, responsibility, accountability and ability to work congenially with a wide variety of individuals and government entities.
- Provides quarterly webinar and classroom compliance-related trainings. Training topics include EAH Policies and Procedures as well as federal, state and local regulatory compliance.
- Identifies compliance training needs of all REM staff; prepares resource and training materials for each community and provides or recommends resources for training of staff as appropriate. In consultation with the Training and Employee Development Coordinator, provides initial orientation of new staff as well as re-orientation of existing staff.
- Maintains comprehensive records of compliance training for staff and provides staff continuing education tracking reports to Regional Managers and Human Resources.
- Oversees development and implementation of appropriate Compliance policies and policy changes that support EAH’s strategic direction and plans. Keeps current on any changes in regulations affecting affordable housing to staff in a timely manner. Updates Compliance policies, procedures, and forms on shared drives (including but not limited to verification forms, policies and procedures, resident selection plans, marketing plans, compliance manuals etc.).
- Ensures that systems are in place to monitor (site visits or “desk review”) site compliance with all regulatory agreements and requirements, including but not limited to Tax Credit, HUD project based Section 8, Tax Exempt Bonds, AHP, RHCP, CalHFA, CDBG, HOME, MHP and Fair Housing.
- Works with compliance staff in reviewing all regulatory and reporting requirements for each community.
- Develops, reviews, revises, and implements corrective action plans based on internal and external audit findings. Review statistics on materials obtained from file audits and makes appropriate policy recommendations.
- Develops and implements disciplinary action policies for handling negative notices of non-compliance from CTCAC, HUD/Contract Administrators or Investor auditors.
- In conjunction with the Compliance Administrative Assistant, ensures timely, accurate and complete compliance and reporting to all agencies, lenders, partners and investors. Develops monitoring, reporting and recordkeeping systems to ensure compliance.
- Coordinates external consultant/auditor review of first year initial file reviews.
- Meets with REM and RED to review, discuss and approve the Deal Memo for new Acquisitions and new Construction. In conjunction with RED and the Relocation Specialists, creates initial income eligibility and relocation tracking spreadsheet.
- Serves as compliance point-of-contact for owners, investors, RED and REM from acquisition/construction through occupancy.
- Facilitates weekly Relocation meetings, provides acquisition/rehab compliance-related status updates and answer compliance-related questions from REM, RED and Relocation Specialist.
- Ensures compliance staff provides oversight and support to assigned portfolio. Ensures constant oversight for properties that are listed on the “critical list.”
- Ensures compliance staff updates EAH Traffic Light report semi-annually. Attends REM Traffic Light meeting semi-annually to explain status of properties rated “yellow” or “red.”
- Through Compliance staff, oversees On-Site (Rental Express credit/criminal/sex offender) database.
- Manages reasonable accommodation process as the Section 504 Coordinator.
Supervises Senior Compliance Analyst, Compliance Administrative Assistant and seven (7) Compliance Specialists located in California and Hawaii. May direct the work of external consultants. Orients new employees to position.
- Trains staff on emergency procedures and employee safety.
- Approves timesheets and time-off requests.
- Sets and oversees employee work schedules.
- Provides performance feedback to employees, including coaching, counseling and disciplining.
- Conducts regular meetings for discussions, problem solving, encouraging, and training.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education/training/experience. 5 or more years as a Compliance Specialist. Experience in reporting to and working with agencies such as HUD, TCAC, CalHFA, HOME, USDA, HCD and investors. Two or more years as a Resident Manager with either HUD or Tax Credit experience.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIREMENTS
EAH Housing conducts criminal background checks on all candidates who have received a conditional job offer. Once you have receive such an offer, you will be required to submit and pass our criminal background requirements. Please be advised that certain roles may also require fingerprinting due to legal requirements. If onsite housing is a requirement of the position, any household members over 18 years of age who will be living onsite with the candidate must also undergo a criminal background check and tenant screening. Satisfactory completion of background check and fingerprinting requirements is a requirement of employment with EAH.
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT
EAH requires that all new hires be vaccinated at the time of hire, i.e., vaccinated on their first day of work and provide proof of their vaccination status. Accommodations will be made for applicants with a valid medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief that they cannot get vaccinated. Accommodations can be requested after an offer has been extended.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, as well as a 403(b) retirement plan with company match. We also offer a generous vacation accrual, holiday schedule and work schedule flexibility.
EAH Housing is an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled Employer. CA BRE #00853495 | HI RB-16985