SUMMARY: Responsible for complex work on mechanical maintenance and upkeep on buildings and grounds for the Authority. Performs maintenance work within specific objectives, priorities and policies of the department; performs work through work order requests and assigned work schedules. Work under general supervision with some independent judgment as to how the work is to be performed. Refers unusual cases to a higher level. Position is accountable to the Chief Operating Officer with direct supervision by the Property Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs ordinary repairs and maintenance to buildings such as: replacing roofing materials, broken glass and light bulbs; repairing plumbing, lighting, windows, and fixtures; laying tile; painting; and electrical, mechanical and carpentry repairs; cleans empty apartments.
- Cleans and maintains grounds and park areas; maintains fences and outdoor structures.
- Loads and unloads maintenance equipment. Cleans and makes minor repairs to equipment.
- Participates in the removal, disassembly, inspection, repair, assembly and alignment of housing components, appliances, mechanical and electrical equipment in dwelling units.
- Reads utility meters.
- Makes minor building repairs and modifications such as installing partitions, doors, and drywall, including simple electrical wiring.
- Maintain and account for inventory.
- Responsible for afterhour’s emergency calls.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- High School diploma or GED and four years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CAMT Certification
- Certificates, licenses and registrations required: Valid Virginia Driver’s License
- Computer skills required: Payroll Systems
- Other skills required:
- Knowledge of basic equipment and method used in maintaining and installing plumbing and appliances.
- Knowledge of the methods and materials used in building, electrical and mechanical maintenance work.
- Some knowledge of welding and angle iron construction methods and operation of furnaces and air conditioners.
- Skills/abilities required to operate basic equipment which is used to perform the work assigned and which usually requires some previous training or experience; skills in the use of hand tools and power equipment used in building and maintenance work
- Ability to work independently in performing routine maintenance and minor repairs on buildings and their blueprints and wiring diagrams.
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with other employees and the public.
- Thorough knowledge of carpentry, construction, plumbing, electricity, grounds keeping and/or general repair work as may be gained through a combination of vocational training after high school or several years’ progressive experience performing building construction and maintenance work, criminal background, and drug screening check required.
- Valid Virginia Driver’s License, criminal background, and drug screening check required.