Our business is real estate, but our organization is so much more than bricks and mortar, beautiful buildings and well-managed properties. Our business is about people who need a place to call home and the people of Michaels who make it all happen.
The Maintenance Technician assists the Maintenance Manager in maintaining the physical integrity of the community. This involves ensuring a safe, secure and comfortable living environment for residents, visitors and staff. The Maintenance Technician will carry out assigned duties in a safe manner, and in addition to the duties described herein, will perform other duties as requested by the Maintenance Manager and Community Manager. The Maintenance Technician must provide exceptional customer service while assessing and repairing the property.
1. Must be knowledgeable of pertinent laws and applicable regulations including, but not limited to EPA and OSHA regulations governing proper storage and management of hazardous materials, including solvents, flammables, caustics and refrigerant.
2. Must be aware of the condition throughout the property and immediately initiate action to correct unsafe conditions; e.g., broken gates leading to the pool, broken steps, open holes and broken/burned out exterior lights.
3. Must be aware of all utility meter cut-offs, fixture cut-offs, and sewer clean-outs.
4. Perform basic and advanced HVAC repairs to residential heating and cooling systems. Repairs and maintenance include items such as completing preventive maintenance checks and services, troubleshooting systems to identify problems, repair / replace faulty internal parts, pull vacuums and charge units, repair / replace entire HVAC systems
5. Perform basic electrical repairs on items such as appliances, fixtures, switches, outlets, circuits, etc. and light plumbing work, such as clearing stoppages, replacing fittings, etc.
6. Perform carpentry work, such as fitting doors, freeing windows, replacing and building shelves, sanding and refinishing floors, as well as exterior and interior painting.
a. The painter must be knowledgeable in all aspects of painting including, but not limited to, taping and texturing, caulking, interior painting and have the ability to make minor drywall repairs.
b. Painter must be knowledgeable of pertinent laws and applicable regulations of OSHA governing proper storage and management of hazardous materials.
a. The Floor Laborer is responsible for ensuring flooring is properly cared for by prepping for stripping, waxing and cleaning of floors. Floor Laborer must be skilled in use of machinery as, but not limited to buffer, shop vacuum and sander and should also be knowledgeable in proper mixing of chemicals.
9. Replace broken glass, tile, screens, garbage disposals, fixtures, appliances, draperies, locks.
10. Assist in custodial and grounds work, including sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, emptying trash, cleaning windows, etc., in common areas.
11. Responds to work orders and resident concerns in a timely and professional manner.
12. Assist make-ready staff as required and directed by the Maintenance Supervisor to meet deadlines.
13. Complete accurate records regarding preventive maintenance, and work orders.
14. Report any maintenance or resident related concerns to manager and/or supervisor in a timely manner.
15. Periodically inspect all units, buildings and common areas, performing repairs and janitorial assistance as needed. Make sure storage areas and entrances are locked and adequate lighting in those areas is maintained.
16. Attend and participate in training seminars as requested. Be aware and operate within OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Act) standards and company safety policies and procedures at all times.
17. Ensure effective, timely and professional interactions with residents, contractors and property management team on all maintenance services provided.
18. Must be knowledgeable of inventory levels of spare parts and supplies and inform Maintenance Supervisor of shortages.
19. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. HVAC certification preferred
2. Preferred one-year experience or training in the following areas: carpentry, light plumbing work, light electrical work, painting, refurbishing and cleaning, air-conditioning.
3. Proven knowledge and application of codes, laws, and regulations.
4. Must be able to pass background investigation and drug test screening.
1. High School Diploma or GED
2. Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record.
3. All specific certifications required by law.
4. Must successfully complete all required courses, classes, and training provided
Required Skills and Abilities:
1. Must be able to work as part of a team, as well as complete assignments independently.
2. Must be able to work in a fast-paced and customer service-oriented environment.
3. Perform duties under pressure and meet deadlines in a timely manner.
4. Must be able to read and write legibly to complete required maintenance reports and requests, review manuals and operating instructions, read cautionary labels, and respond to written instruction from staff and residents.
5. Read and interpret technical drawings and diagrams.
6. Prioritize and manage daily workload to ensure successful completion.
7. Take instructions from supervisors.
8. Exercise problem-solving skills.
9. Interact with co-workers, supervisors, vendors, residents, guests, and the public in a professional and pleasant manner.
10. Any employee in this position must be knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use of maintenance tools.
1. Must be able to work 40 hours per week to include evenings, weekends and holidays if required for emergency, on-call or scheduled shifts. Overtime hours may be required.
2. Must be able and eligible to drive a vehicle for picking up replacement parts and supplies if required
3. Will be exposed to dust, dirt, solvents, paint, and other cleaning supplies
4. Will be required to use hand and power tools in a safe manner
5. Will be required to use eye protection when required for safe job performance.